Are your changes saved? Welcome to the new and improved Network Box ✨

Another item from the February 2020 Roadmap done.

Shmeppy now shares many more details regarding its connection status. Previously it would only share one fact: whether or not it’s connected to the server at all. Now it shares significantly more information, but hopefully just as seamlessly and non-intrusively.

Here are some of the possible states of the “network box” you can now enjoy:

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.33.57 PM Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.34.03 PM Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.34.11 PM Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.34.16 PM Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.34.24 PM Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.36.41 PM

This should make it much easier to know whether your changes have made it up to the server. Indeed, I’ve already found a bug to fix with Shmeppy’s syncing code because the added transparency made the bug obvious.

Unfortunately this task took much longer than I thought it would. And I’d like to take the time to fix the bug I discovered with syncing as well as add a little dialog that says “Are you sure you want to navigate away while there’s unsaved changes to your Shmeppy map?”

This means the remaining two items (resizable tokens and edge tool improvements) on the February roadmap are going to be bumped onto March’s roadmap. No way I’ll implement either of those with just two workdays left in the month :sweat_smile:.

Happy Shmepping ya’ll!

Oh jeebs, preventing the user from navigating away from a page on a “single page app” like Shmeppy is very hard. All well, it’s not particularly vital, so I’ll just not do it for now.