Labelling a Room

room_labelling

A little trick I use for room labelling. Place a token hidden by fog of war on the top edge of a room. This allows the room label to only be seen by the GM. Also during play if a player token moves onto the label it magically moves out of the way.

magical_label_move

The drawback is if the player moves her token onto the fog of war/token location she disappears. This leads to cries of terror as the player thinks she has accidentally deleted her token. Solution for this is to have thick walls to hide tokens in. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Most of my players didn’t realize they could hit the undo/redo buttons to get their tokens back from fog of war. Since explaining that to them I’ve had to rescue far fewer tokens :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a great tip. Thank you.

Someone suggested doing some tutorial for players that’d have Shmeppy tell them their token just went into Fog of War and that they can undo it. I don’t know when I’ll get to that, but it seems like a great idea :sweat_smile:. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a player think of it themselves, and I don’t know why.

There’s a UI convention that when you drag & drop something it will be visible where you drop it. It’s so rare to see that convention broken that when it happens, the user is likely to conclude that the app is buggy or that they accidentally deleted something. A tutorial would be helpful but finding a way to follow the convention would be better.

I think that same user suggested having the token sorta fade out from existence… so a little animation to bridge the gap between dropping and being lost into the ether.

Though I could also just refuse the operation :thinking:. Not sure why I haven’t done that before…