Several weeks ago I built a map in shmeppy that was… rather large. I used actual blueprints to create a to-scale floorplan of a large convention center in San Francisco. (zombie/exploration map)
(Mod note: removed link to game since there’s no access controls in Shmeppy yet and anyone would be able to join)
I then hid the entire thing with fog of war which took several minutes, and I noticed a big plunge in responsiveness. I loaded it up and sent the link to 5 others and we could not play at all. Constant disconnecting and lag made it unusable and after 20 mins we called it and logged off.
I mentioned it on reddit and got a response, and then came here soon after and noticed that a week or two later that there was a performance update and that it may fix lag issues.
Well, I am getting ready to try that again tonight and upon pulling it up on two devices, I am noticing that it is working better, but still has some lag. (and I havent added the tokens yet… I will be doing that during the game in the fog because there were hundreds last time)
My main question is, do I need to rebuild this map again in a fresh map of shmeppy for it to work better? This map just while I was moving a token as a viewer caused the host computer to reconnect for 5 seconds. Adding or removing fog of war (small areas) sometimes has a lag time of 5-15 seconds.
Or is this map just too big?
If the map is too big, here is my next question… how can I help this? I dont want to have to send out multiple links just to try and get everyone from one map to another…
One thing I had thought would be a benefit to this would be the ability to copy and paste map sections from one map to another. Then I could create the map in a separate document and paste the necessary pieces in as needed (and move them around) before removing the fog.
The last part I have wondered… for me, I dont really change the base map much once it is built. (Though I have created ad-hoc maps in the fog while the players talked before and that is nice)
I would imagine that the map being one single static image (of these blocks) that is basically baked into one thing and set as the background could help the speed. I dont know the technical requirements of how you have built it (I am a UX designer, not a coder ha) but it seems like having less code to try and keep track or, replaced with a baked image of BG could speed things up in my own head theory.
Anyways, I will give it a try again tonight in shmeppy. As an alternative I do have the map I made in shmeppy saved out and pulled into a roll20 document in case we need to switch to it, but I hope it isnt necessary because I like this tool better.