Swap scrollwheel to zoom or add side scrolling

I’m not sure if this is more of a power user type feature or not, but I thought I’d mention it.

At the moment using the scroll wheel on a mouse moves the map page up and down, which is perfectly fine if a bit slow. However, I’d intuitively expect that the scroll wheel would zoom in on the map, and when it didn’t my next thought was that you could side scroll in the map by holding down shift or alt and was disappointed to find that you couldn’t. Adding one of those two options would be nice to see for map navigability.

3 Likes

I think I remember there’s some annoying technical limitation that prevents this from being configured automatically…

I think it’s impossible to differentiate scrolling with a laptop’s trackpad (like two finger scroll on a MacBook which allows any direction) and a scroll wheel.

A manual toggle between the two options should be possible though. There’s currently no proper place to put this toggle (there’s no “control configuration” page) but once there is one this seems like a natural addition.

That’s fair. It’s not a big issue, just thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

@johncs - I think this is a great feature suggestion. Is it possible to tie the swap to a hotkey?

For example, in the main app I use for artwork (Inkscape), ctrl + scrollwheel zooms in and out. I know my players in other apps like to zoom in a lot to the current area of play, and right now z + click doesn’t feel intuitive.

1 Like

I would also love to see this option implemented somehow! It may be because of the programs I use a lot at work, such as google maps and AutoCAD, and photoshop at home, but scrolling to zoom in and out feels very intuitive to me. It could be like in photoshop, where it’s an alt+scroll or shift+scroll to toggle between zoom and up/down?

Tying zoom to a modifier + scroll wheel sounds like a great idea. It’s a simple way to implement this that oughta feel pretty good.

I’ll do this before too long. I’m going to be literally rewriting the renderer as part of this mobile optimization work I’m on right now because I want to move Shmeppy’s rendering work onto users’ GPUs rather than their CPUs, and the GPU (essentially) speaks a different programming language than the CPU. This’ll affect how Shmeppy zooms. So I probably won’t try to bring in this change to zoom’s interface until after that.

2 Likes